The Coach and Horses
The Coach and Horses is a Grade II Public house. 1937 from plans dated 1936 by architects' practice Wilburn & Atkinson of Doncaster, for brewers Whitworth, Son & Nephew of Wath upon Dearne. Vernacular Revival. Rendered walls (painted cream), brick porches, brick and stone dressings, small tiles, rendered and brick stacks.
PLAN: Freestanding angled building with longer range to the right (south-east). Set in a generous site with lawn and parking with main entrance facing junction of High Street and Doncaster Road. Rooms arranged along a common, elongated servery area to the rear. Out-sales with separate entrance to left, main entrance with WCs to each side, opening into drinking lobby with refreshment room (now games room) to left and smoke room to right. Public bar to right with separate entrance (not inter-connected), and WCs to far right. Hall to rear of servery with staircase to first-floor accommodation and cellar steps. Wash house and coal store attached to rear.
EXTERIOR: two storeys with cellars. Two wings built gable-end on at right angles to each other, with lower angled infill between inner faces with deep overhanging eaves and containing main entrance. Stepped brick door surround, two stone steps, double doors with vertical battens with metal studs, decorative strap hinges, small, stained glass panel to each door, and rectangular stained glass overlight. Two narrow windows to each side of doorway with brick soldier lintels, stone sills, and multi-pane timber casements. Two dormer windows over entrance with multi-pane timber casements. Each wing has a tall stack to the inner face, a large window on the ground and first floors, and brick detailing to the gable. Both windows to the left wing and the first-floor window of the right wing have brick soldier lintels and stone sills. Canted bay window to the ground floor of the right wing. All with multi-pane timber casements. Stepped back and attached to the left wing is a two-storey lean-to section, with a doorway with porch canopy and door with vertical battens, metal studs, small, stained glass panel and overlight. Stepped back and attached to the right wing is a two-storey range with a mansard pitched roof and a tall ridge stack to the left. Central brick entrance porch with stepped side buttresses, flat, overhanging roof, two curved stone steps and one straight stone step. Double door with vertical battens with metal studs, decorative strap hinges, small, stained glass panel to each door, and rectangular stained glass overlight. Window to each side of porch with brick soldier lintel and stone sill, and two dormer windows, all with multi-pane timber casements. Stepped back is attached single-storey WC block with pitched roof. Single small window in front elevation with multi-pane casement. Subsidiary elevations have windows of varying sizes with brick soldier lintels and stone sills, with single dormer to rear of two-storey range, all with original multi-pane timber casements.
INTERIOR: Many original fixtures and fittings survive. Main entrance and public bar entrance both have lobby with part-tiled walls of cream, brown, and black tiles in a geometric pattern, and terrazzo flooring. Inner double doors to main entrance and single inner door to public bar, both with half-glazed doors, multi-pane leaded side lights and overlights, using clear glass with textured glass bands. Elsewhere plain wooden doors, all except WC doors, with rectangular glazed panels of textured glass (smoke room door removed). Original brass door handles and architraves. All servery counters retain sash screens with multi-pane leaded lights with bands of textured glass and roundels of painted glass depicting wheatsheafs, the trademark of Whitworth's brewery. Refreshment room retains lower sliding sashes (removed elsewhere) and intact counter with original wooden front with two horizontal strips of green-painted wood and leatherette inlays to the counter top. Counter tops to other rooms replaced, and fronts replaced or covered with vertical timber planking (counter removed in out-sales). Substantial custom-made bar back-fitting, with shelving, multiple drawers with brass handles, and simple art-deco pedimented top. Original fixed seating in smoke room and public bar (refreshment room never had fixed seating), with wooden baffle screens in public bar with inset panels of leaded glass with textured glass bands. Smoke room and refreshment room retain bell pushes. Room ceilings have deep curving plain covings. WCs retain original floor tiling of white and dark green in the 'ladies' and white and black in the 'gents', respecting partitions. Original white and black wall tiles remain in most WCs, now painted over. All three fireplaces are modern replacements.
HISTORY: The Coach & Horses was a purpose-built replacement for an older establishment of the same name on the opposite side of High Street. Built for Whitworth, Son & Nephew, local brewers established in the mid C19 who by the mid 1930s had built up a pub estate of around 160 houses extending throughout the coalfield areas of South Yorkshire and into Rotherham and Sheffield. The Coach & Horses was designed by Wilburn & Atkinson, a local Doncaster architects' practice active throughout much of C20. It was approved that year by the local authority, and was built in 1937 to the original plans.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION The Coach & Horses is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * As a purpose-built, 'improved' inter-war pub unusually located in a village setting, designed by Doncaster architects' practice Wilburn & Atkinson for the brewers Whitworth, Son & Nephew of Wath upon Dearne * For the substantially intact survival of its layout, which conforms to the original architects' plans dated 1936, and incorporates a refreshment room, smoke room, drinking lobby, public bar, and out-sales, all arranged along a common, elongated servery to the rear * For the unaltered exterior, which retains original doors and multi-pane casement windows, and the survival of many original internal fixtures and fittings, notably the counter sash screens with brewer's trademark roundels to all rooms, counter to the refreshment room, and bar back-fitting to the servery; also including doors, door furniture, architraves, tiling, fixed seating, baffle screens, and bell pushes